Serves : 4
- 1 cup chana dal (split Bengal gram)
- 1 cup rice
- 1 cup urad dal (skinned split black lentils)
- ½ cup moong dal (split yellow lentils)
- Salt to taste
- Dry whole red chilis to taste
- 2 tablespoons cumin (jeera) seeds
Prep:20min › Cook:30min › Extra time:4hr10min › Ready in:5hr
- Soak the lentils and the rice in a large bowl, covered with water overnight, or at least 4 hours.
- Grind the soaked rice and lentils together with salt and red chillis and as little water as needed.
- Stir in the cumin seeds. Thin the batter as needed so you reach a consistency thin enough to spread the batter on the tawa (griddle).
- To make the ada: Heat a tawa (or flat griddle). Ladle the batter on the tawa and spread into a thin circle using the back of the ladle or a large spoon. Gently grease with oil on the edges and the middle. Cook for a few minutes and flip over to the other side. Cook a few more minutes, transfer to a plate and serve immediately. Ada’s are best eaten hot off the tawa.
See it on my blog
Does the batter have to be left for fermenting or can one make the dosas right after grinding it? - 14 Jul 2010
- 02 Jul 2011