1 / 1 Photo by:
- 250 g of Mood Dal
- 4 cups of water
- Salt as needed
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 onion chopped into thin slices
- 2 garlic cloves chopped into thin slices
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon of ghee or 1 small cube of butter
- 1 tablespoon of kalo jeera ( black cumin seeds)
- 3 bay leaves
Prep:40min › Cook:30min › Ready in:1hr10min
- Wash the moog dal and allow it to soak in a bowl of water for 30 minutes.
- Pour the soaked moog dal on to a pot with 4 cups of water. Add salt, turmeric powder, sliced onions and garlic. Boil the dal until a thick gravy forms. This should take around 30-40 minutes.
- When the dal has almost boiled, heat oil and ghee/butter on a separate pan. Add kalo jeera (black cumin seeds) and bay leaves and fry for a few minutes. Do not fry too long as the oil might get dark.
- Pour the oil, kalo jeera (black cumin seeds) and bay leaves mixture to the boiled dal. Stir the mixture well in the dal and put the lid on with low heat for approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Garnish by sprinkling some green chillies.
Serve with plain white rice or plain flour tortillas.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
What did you think? Tell us everything!