Chalkumra dal (Ash gourd Dal Curry)
Chalkumra Dal is a light and healthy curry cooked as an everyday dish. It is served with plain white rice.
5 people made this
3/4 of a chalkumra ( 350 g)
1-1.5 tablespoon of vegetable oil
1 tablespoon of onion slices
Just a pinch of pach foron (ive seasoning spices (Aniseed, Fenugreek, Celery, Bishop's Weed, Fennel)
2-3 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon of cumin paste
1/2 teaspoon of ginger paste
1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder
1 teaspoon of red chili powder
Salt as needed
water as needed
1 cup dal
3-4 green chilies
1/2 teaspoon of cumin powder
- Peel the skin of the chalkumra and cut into small cubes.
- Heat a frying pan with oil and fry the onions for a bit. Now add the pach foron, bay leaves and cubed chalkumra.
- Stir well and add cumin and ginger paste, turmeric and red chili powder and salt. Add 1 cup of water and cook with lid on until the water dries up and oil starts to float on top.
- Take the lid out and add the boiled dal and another 1/2 cup of water. Cook until the water dries up to form a thick gravy. By now the oil should start to float on top again.
- Sprinkle the green chilies and add another 1-2 cups of water ( according to preferred thickness of gravy) and cook until the water dries up.
- Sprinkle the cumin powder and stir well.
- Serve with plain white rice.
Reviews and Ratings
Reviews in English (0)
User's IP: 126.96.36.199