Dudh Chitoi (Milk Chitoi) Pitha
4 people made this
About this recipe:
Dudh Chitoi or Milk Chitoi pitha is a traditional dessert made usually in winter. It is sweet, sultry and creamy. It is delicious by itself.
3 cups of atop or pulao rice
water as needed
salt as needed
oil for greasing the tawa
1/2 cup of palm date jaggery
2 cinnamon sticks
3 liters of milk
- Soak the rice for 4-5 hours
- Roast the rice in a tawa so that the rice grains become powdery.
- Mix the roasted rice in 1 cup of lukewarm water and a pinch of salt.
- Make sure that the mixture is neither too thin nor thick-so add just a bit of water at a time and mix.
- Heat a thick tawa (the ones that are especially made to cook chitoi pitha) and grease it with oil.
- Now take a big spoon and pour a spoonful of the mixture in circular motion so that a round shaped chitoi pitha forms.
- Put the lid on and cook for 4-5 minutes. The pitha will swell into a beautiful white round shape. Take it out and set aside.
- Repeat to make a few more chitoi pitha.
- In a cooking pot, mix the palm date jaggery with 3 cups of water.
- Heat the mixture and sprinkle the cardamoms and cinnamon sticks.
- Allow the mixture to boil.
- Mean while, in a separate pot, boil the milk so that it thickens down to 2 liters of its volume from its original 3 liters.
- Dip the chitoi pitha in this palm date jaggery syrup for a bit and set aside.
- Mix the warm milk with the palm date jaggery syrup in which the chitoi pithas were initially dipped.
- Now soak the chitoi pitha in this mixture for 4-5 hours.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate