Shajnar Dal (Sahjan Dal) or Dal with drumsticks
This is a healthy vegetarian dish. Sahjan or shajna is very chewy and sumptuous. It is also a great way to just bring in some variation to the way you cook dal every day. Serve with plain white rice.
2 people made this
2 tablespoons of soybean oil
1/2 cup of onion slices
1 cup of masoor dal ( red lentil)
salt as needed
1/2 teaspoon of garlic paste
1/2 teaspoon of ginger paste
1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder
1/4 teaspoon of red chili powder
water as needed
4-5 drumsticks or shajna, cut into small pieces
1/2 teaspoon of pach foron (five mixed spice blend of fenugreek seed, nigella seed, cumin seed, black mustard seed and fennel seed in equal parts)
4-5 green chilies
- Heat a pan with 1 tablespoon of the oil. Fry the onions until golden brown. Add the dal and salt. Mix.
- Add the garlic and ginger pastes, turmeric and red chili powders. Stir and add 4 cups of water.
- When the dal has boiled, add the shajna pieces. Cook on low heat for 10 minutes. Set aside.
- In a separate pan heat the rest of the oil. Fry the pach foron. Now pour the dal on the hot oil with the pach foron.
- Stir and sprinkle the green chilies before serving.
Reviews and Ratings
Reviews in English (0)
User's IP: 188.8.131.52