2 people made this
About this recipe:
South Indian cuisine has a strong influence on Maharashtran cuisine. Idlis are an example of this influence. These are round shaped rice cakes that are served with chutneys. Enjoy!
4 cups rice ( except for basmati rice)
2 cups udad dal or white lentils
1/2 teaspoon soda powder
salt as needed
Extra time:8hr soaking ›
- Soak the rice and dal for 8 hours ( overnight).
- Drain the water out and grind the dal and rice to make a fine paste.
- Keep the paste in a moist place for 4 hours( far from windows or fan) to allow it to get fermented.
- Mix soda powder and salt with the fermented paste to make batter.
- Grease the idli holder/maker and fill each hole of the maker unto three quarters.
- Steam cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Using a butter knife, take the idlis out and serve with chutney.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate