Coffee Sponge Cake
- 175g butter
- 175g caster sugar
- 150g flour
- 25g cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp water mixed with 1 tsp instant coffee granules (like Nescafe or coffee essence)
- 3 small eggs
- 50g butter
- 1 tsp instant coffee granules in 1 tsp water
- 1 tbsp cocoa OR 25g melted chocolate
- 75g icing sugar, or as needed
Prep:40min › Cook:20min › Ready in:1hr
- Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- Cream butter and sugar. Add in eggs and coffee. Sieve in flour and cocoa (drinking chocolate will leave you with granulated sugar in your sieve!). Combine well.
- Divide batter into two 18cm (7 in) greased and floured tins. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Do the skewer or bounce test and leave to cool 5 minutes in the tin before turning on to the rack.
- For the filling, cream the butter until almost white. Add in flavourings and icing sugar. Spread over one half of the cake when they are cool. Turn the other upside-down so the domed top sits on the icing. Ice with chocolate, coffee or a mixed icing, or melted chocolate with added coffee!
i want to know that flour used is self rising or all purpose flour. - 30 Apr 2013
- 06 Jul 2010
looks yummy! - 29 May 2012