1 / 1 Photo by: SunnyByrd
Chocolate Marble Cake
- 200g unsalted butter
- 150g chunky or smooth peanut butter
- 100g caster sugar
- 125g light brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 250g plain flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 100ml milk
- 100g chocolate chips, chopped smaller
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1 heaped tablespoon of Camp coffee essence
- 1 teaspoon of cocoa powder
- For the Glaze (optional)
- 2 tablespoons of apricot jam
- 2 tablespoons of water
Prep:20min › Cook:50min › Ready in:1hr10min
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Slightly grease and flour a 25cm /10" cake tin.
- Combine butter, peanut butter and both types of sugar in a mixing bowl. Beat until light and creamy, about 3-5 minutes on low. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Gradually fold the sifted flour and milk, alternately, into the egg mixture, stirring well after each addition.
- Divide mixture into two equal portions. Add chocolate chips to one portion; mix. Blend the coffee granules, essence and cocoa together and mix lightly until the ingredients are well-blended to get a mocha-flavour - add this to the other portion.
- Put a ladleful of choc-chip batter into the prepared tin, top this with a ladleful of mocha-flavoured batter and alternate the two steps until both portions are used up.
- To get a marble effect, draw a wooden skewer through the batter, taking care not to touch the bottom of the tin. Lightly shake the tin to get rid of any air bubbles.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 25 mins. Then turn the oven temp down to 160 degrees C. Continue cooking for another 25 minutes.
- To test the cake, touch it lightly with the fingertips. If it is cooked through, the cake should spring back immediately when touched. Cool the cake in the mould for 5 to 10 minutes before turning it out onto a wire rack.
- To prepare the glaze, combine apricot jam and water in a small saucepan. Heat gently to melt the jam, stirring continuously.
- Brush cake with glaze. Leave to cool before serving.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
What did you think? Tell us everything!