Gajar Ka Halwa
1 / 1
Gajar Ka Halwa
4 people made this
About this recipe:
This is a rich and creamy recipe with the goodness of milk, nuts and the natural sweetness of carrots.
1 kilo organic carrots
115g assorted nuts (cashews & pistachios) chopped
5-6 green cardamoms, peeled
1/4 tsp nutmeg powder
5 tbsp ghee
6 tablespoons extra thick cream
200ml sweetened condensed milk
250g caster sugar, or to taste
- Wash, peel and grate the carrots.
- Rinse and dry the raisins. Chop the nuts finely and reserve some for garnishing. Grind the cardamoms and cloves into a fine powder using a mortar and pestle.
- Heat the ghee in a heavy non-stick pan until it melts.
- Add the cardamom, clove and nutmeg powders to the ghee until it begins to give off aroma of the roasting spices.
- Add the chopped nuts; cook until you get the aroma of the roasting nuts.
- Add the grated carrots to the pan. Keep sauteing the grated carrot till the water begins to evaporate and the volume of carrots in the pan appears to be lesser.
- Add milk. Let the carrots cook in the milk till almost dry. Keep stirring and cook over a low heat to avoid burning.
- Add the cream and sweetened condensed milk; continue stirring until the mixture becomes slightly dry again.
- When the condensed milk and cream are absorbed, and the carrots are thoroughly cooked, only then add the sugar (according to the sweetness you prefer.)
- Continue cooking until the liquid dries up and the halwa leaves the sides of the pan.
- Garnish with the remaining nuts and serve warm or chilled with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate