Be the first to make this!
About this recipe:
Dried peas cooked with bacon, onions, thyme, cream. A nutritious soup to warm you on a cold, foggy night.
450g dried split peas, soaked overnight
3 rashers of streaky bacon, diced
1 carrot, diced
1 large onion, chopped
1 tender onions, diced
1 clove of garlic
1 bay leaf
1 sprig of thyme
2.5L chicken stock
salt and pepper to taste
200ml cream (add to taste)
- Heat butter in pan and fry the bacon. Add diced carrot, onion, leek, garlic with the bay leaf and thyme. Cook to soften vegetables, without browning.
- Add the drained split peas to the pan, then the stock. Add salt and pepper (having tasted first).
- Simmer until the split peas are soft and mushy. This will usually take up to 2 hours.
- Remove soup from heat and blend to a fine puree using a blender or liquidiser. Finish by adding a little cream to taste.
- Reboil the soup and serve piping hot with croutons sprinkled on top, if desired.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate