About this recipe:This is a delicious Hyderabadi preparation in which the curry is made with capsicum and it serves as an excellent side gravy dish going very well with parathas or chapatis. An ideal preparation for a tasty and wholesome meal that can be relished with family and friends together
INGREDIENTS Needed (Using a measuring cup where 1 cup = 250 ml)
• 2 large onions or about 200 grams of onions, or more specifically 1.25 cups of chopped onions
• 3 tbsp of desiccated coconut
• 1 tbsp of white sesame seeds
• 1 tsp of poppy seeds which may or may not be included
• 2 tbsp of peanuts
• 1 tsp of tightly packed seedless tamarind
• 2 tbsp of oil
• 1 inch ginger or 2 tsp of chopped ginger
• 4 to 5 garlic or 1 to 1.5 tsp chopped garlic/lahsun
• 1 tbsp of coriander seeds
• ½ to ⅔ cups of water for grinding
• 2 tbsp of oil,7 to 8 fenugreek seeds,200 to 250 grams green/red/yellow capsicum. About 5 of these medium sized capsicums, or about 2 cups sliced capsicum,½ tsp powdered jaggery or add as per taste
• 1 to 2 tbsp of chopped coriander leaves for garnishing which is optional,⅛ tsp of turmeric powder or 2 to 3 pinches of it.1 medium tomato or ⅓ cup of tightly packed and chopped tomatoes,½ tsp of mustard seeds,
• 1 tsp of red chili powder,7 to 8 curry leaves,1 to 1.25 cups water,salt as required
Preparing the nuts & seeds spice paste
1. Heat about 2 tbsp of oil in a pan. Then add 2 tbsp of peanuts, 1 tbsp of sesame seeds, 1 tbsp of coriander seeds and 1 tsp of poppy seeds (optional),Sauté these nuts & seeds for 3 to 4 minutes over a on a low flame,Next add 1.5 tsp chopped ginger and 1 tsp chopped garlic. Saute it for a minute,Next add 1.25 cups chopped onions. Stir very well.
2. Have the onions sauted until they turn light brown. Then add a pinch of salt to it so that the onions can get cooked faster,Next add 3 tbsp of desiccated coconut. Stir them again very well,Continue to stir them and Saute them for about 7 to 8 minutes, till the coconut turns golden. the whole mixture should turn light golden or golden
3. Allow this roasted mixture to cool down completely. Next add the mixture in a grinder jar. Do add 1 tsp tightly packed seedless tamarind,Next grind it to a smooth paste using ½ cup water. Put aside this masala paste
Preparation of the gravy:
1. Have the pan wiped properly in which the nuts & seeds were sauted and add 2 tbsp oil. Heat it and then add ½ tsp mustard seed,When the mustard seeds crackle, add 7 to 8 fenugreek seeds & 7 to 8 curry leaves. Sauté for a minute,Pour in the ⅓ cup of tightly packed chopped tomatoes,Sprinkle a pinch of salt for the tomatoes to cook faster. Stir and sauté them till they soften and become pulpy.
2. Next toss in the sliced capsicums,On a medium flame, stir and saute the bell peppers for about 3 to 4 minutes,Lower the flame and add the ground nuts and seeds paste,Add 2 to 3 pinches of turmeric powder and 1 tsp of red chili powder. Do stir very well
3. saute for about 2 minutes on a low flame. do stir as the paste can stick to the pan,Add 1 to 1.25 cups water, followed by adding 1 tsp of powdered jaggery and salt as per taste,Add ½ tsp of the garam masala,Simmer the capsicum masala gravy on a low medium flame for approximately 15 minutes. By then the capsicum slices will be cooked.
The gravy is done once you get to see the oil specks on top. Stir it at intervals when the gravy is getting simmered.
4. Serve the delicious capsicum masala in a BOROSIL Serving Plate hot with rice, chapatis or parathas. Enjoy a hearty delicious meal with your friends and family.