20 people made this
About this recipe:
Dates chopped into a rich batter and baked for 10 mins. Great for breakfast or tea time, ready in just 1/2 hour!
Makes: 8 scones
225g self-raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 pinch salt
2 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
70g chopped dates
1 small egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 200 C. In a bowl sift together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- Rub in butter until mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs, and then stir in the chopped dates.
- In a jug mix together the milk and egg, and then pour the liquid bit by bit into the flour mixture until it starts to come together.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead until all the crumbs have come together and it has formed a soft dough - DO NOT knead the dough any more or the scones will be tough.
- With a knife cut the dough into about 8 squares, brush with milk and place on a tray and into the hot oven.
- Bake for about 10-15 minutes or until just beginning to brown.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate