Moorgi Kosha (Bengali Chicken Curry)
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- salt, to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tbsp water, divided
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- ½ tsp chilly powder, or to taste
- ½ tsp Kashmiri degi mirch
- 2 tbsp ground ginger
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1kg chicken breast chunks (or chicken thighs)
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced
- ¼ tsp sugar
- 3 pods cardamom, lightly crushed
- 3 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 tbsp ground coriander seeds
- A large bunch fresh coriander, finely chopped
Prep:15min › Cook:1hr › Extra time:15min preserving › Ready in:1hr30min
- Heat the oil in a medium deep pan over high heat. Add 1/3 of the onion, sprinkle a little salt and fry for a few minutes, or until golden brown and crispy. Remove from oil and set aside on paper napkins.
- Add the bay leaf and the rest of the onions to the oil. Season with a little salt, and fry until golden brown. Add a spoonful of water and stir so that the onions break down – the water should turn a rich caramel colour. Add the turmeric, chilly, degi mirch, ginger and garlic; stir well. Reduce heat to medium high. When the fat leaves the sides, add a spoonful of water, and stir again.
- Add the chicken and the sliced tomato. Season with salt and sugar; stir. Add the cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, ghee and a spoonful of water. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 or 35 minutes.
- Remove the lid, if there is water left in the pan, raise the heat to medium. Add the ground coriander and cook until all the water has evaporated (or you can leave as much gravy as you like).
- Spoon onto serving plates and sprinkle with fresh coriander and the reserved fried onions. Serve with naan or basmati rice.
It was tasty and my husband liked it. Since I like to cook my food with less oil, next time I make it, I will not add the ghee. - 22 Sep 2011
All good real testy, but damn people, for god’s sake don’t call this curry curry is a south Indian word as they use curry powder to make chicken, veg etc. Please call it gravy which is the correct word - 08 Apr 2013