1 person made this
About this recipe:
Mathanga Erishery - A recipe using Red Moong Dal and Yellow Pumpkin
1/2 cup Red Moong Dal
250 gms Yellow pumpkin, chopped to bigger pieces (around 2cm in size)
1/8 teaspoon Turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon Chilli powder
1/2 cup grated coconut, keep it as 2 portions (freshly grated coconut is best)
1 teaspoon Cumin seed
1 teaspoon Oil
1/2 teaspoon Mustard seeds
8 Curry leaves
- Cook Red Moong Dal in a pressure cooker till tender (around 4 whistles).
- You may also cook it in a saucepan; add 1 cup water to Red Moong Dal, bring to a boil, then reduce flame to low, cover, and simmer until tender (15-20 minutes).
- Cook the chopped pumpkins in another saucepan with approximately 1 cup water, along with salt, turmeric and chilli powder, until tender (about 10-15 minutes).
- Meanwhile, in a grinder or mixer, grind 1 portion of grated coconut and cumin seeds into a paste.
- When the pumpkin is cooked, add the cooked dal and coconut paste to it and bring to a boil.
- In a small frying pan, heat oil over medium-high flame and add mustard and curry leaves.
- When mustard breaks, add the other portion of grated coconut and fry until it turns light brown.
- Add the contents of the frying pan to the dal-pumpkin mixture and stir well.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate