- 4 medium sized potatoes, boiled, peeled, mashed
- 1 slice white bread, soaked in water and squeezed
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp finely chopped ginger
- 1 tsp sliced green mirchi
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- Oil for deep frying
Prep:15min › Cook:10min › Ready in:25min
- Mix all the ingredients except breadcrumbs. Take a golf ball sized lump of this mashed potato mixture. Shape it in an oval or round shape. Roll it in breadcrumbs. If you can't find them, pulse 2-3 slices of old bread in a mixie to a powder form. Breadcrumbs add crispiness to the tikki.
- Heat oil in a kadhahi. Deep fry each cutlet. Cook each piece till it's golden brown on both sides. Drain on kitchen towels. Serve.
Make it healthier
For a variation: Soak 2 tbsp chana dal overnight or if you don't have time, soak it in warm water for 1/2 hour. Heat oil in a pan and cook dal over medium heat with salt for 5 minutes, till it's just tender. Add this to the aloo mixture. It makes the tikki healthier and the dish also looks very good. You can also add boiled sweet peas instead.