1 / 1 Photo by: Louella
Goan Prawn Curry
Louella New Jersey, United States
Serves : 6
- 250 gms Prawns
- 100 gms Bindhi or Okra
- 1/2 cup Grated Coconut
- 1 tablespoon Corriander seeds
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 5 Peppercorns
- 4 Kashmiri Chillies
- 1 small Onion sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon Tumeric powder
- 3 pieces Kokum
- Salt (preferably sea salt) To taste
- Water 1 1/2 cup (approx)
Prep:25min › Cook:20min › Ready in:45min
- Peel, devein and wash the shrimp. Apply a generous amount of salt preferably sea salt. Cut up the bhindi (okra) into 3 pieces and set aside.
- Grind together the coconut, corriander seeds, garlic, peppercorns and kashmiri chillies. You should get a nice orange colour masala.
- In a vessel put in the oil and the sliced onions and fry. Then add the masala along with the tumeric powder and fry for a minute. Then add enough water to make a substantial gravy.
- When the curry comes to a boil add the shrimp, bhindi and salt to taste. Cover and cook on slow flame for about 10 minutes or until shrimp and the bhindi are cooked. Drop in 3 pieces of kokum and put the flame on high when it boils again. Turn it off and let it stand. Serve hot over white rice.
Optionally you could used coconut milk instead of the grated coconut.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
What did you think? Tell us everything!