Palak Dal (Spinach lentils)
Serves : 4
- 300g masoor dal (red lentils)
- 825ml water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 500g spinach, rinsed and chopped
- 30g ghee
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 125ml coconut milk
Prep:10min › Cook:30min › Ready in:40min
- Rinse dal and soak for 20 minutes.
- In a large pan, bring water to the boil and stir in salt, dal, turmeric and chilli powder. Cover and return to the boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in the spinach and cook 5 minutes, or until dal is soft. Add more water if necessary.
- In a small pan over medium heat, melt ghee and stir fry onions with cumin and mustard seeds, stirring often. Cook until onions are transparent, and then combine with dal. Stir in garam masala and cook until heated through. Note: Can add coconut milk with garam masala for a variation.
This was a lovely recipe. I made it for the first time two nights ago and i had to get the ingredients again today. This is lovely food. I added a tin of Chick Peas (Chana) to bulk it out a little. - 24 Dec 2011