1 / 1 Photo by:
Mongolian Chicken Steamboat
Serves : 4
- 500g skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 tsp five-spice powder
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 3cm piece fresh root ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 celery stick, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1 lemongrass stalk or strip of lemon peel
- 1.5 litres chicken stock, made with stock cubes
- 1 large red capsicum, cut into chunks
- 250g baby corn
- 200g broccoli, in florets
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 250g rice noodles
- 250g bok choi, quartered lengthways
Prep:5min › Cook:15min › Ready in:20min
- Flavour the chicken: Put the chicken into a bowl. Add the five-spice powder and soy sauce, and mix well. Set aside.
- Prepare the stock: Put the ginger into a large pan with the celery, garlic, lemongrass or lemon peel and stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Cook the chicken and vegetables: Add the chicken to the stock, then add the red pepper, baby corn and broccoli. Bring back to the boil and simmer for 3 minutes or until the chicken is cooked and the vegetables are barely tender.
- Add the noodles: Add the spring onions and noodles, and stir gently and briefly to combine, then bring back to the boil. Lay the bak choi over the top and simmer for about 2 minutes or until the pak choi leaves are wilted and the noodles are hot and cooked.
- Serve: Take the pan to the table and serve, ladling the cooked ingredients into bowls with a little of the broth. Ladle out the last of the broth at the end of the meal.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
What did you think? Tell us everything!