Aam Khatta Dal (Green Mango Dal)
Aam khatta dal is very popular when mangoes just start arriving in the market. The dal is "khatta", meaning "sour" and the slices of mango are very chewy and succulent. Serve with plain rice.
1 person made this
1 cup of dal
1/2 cup of soybean oil
1 tablespoon of onion slices
1 teaspoon of garlic slices
1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon of red chili powder
salt as needed
water as needed
4-5 pealed slices of green mangoes
4 dried red chilies
4 green chilies
1 tablespoon of chopped coriander leaves
- Wash the dal and soak in water for 30 minutes. By then, the dal grains should become swollen and soft.
- Heat a pan with the oil. Add the onion and garlic slices. Stir and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Sprinkle the turmeric and red chili powders and salt. Stir well and add 1 cup of water.
- Cook for 5 minutes so that the water dries up and the oil starts to simmer on top.
- Add the soaked dal grains and stir and fry for 10 minutes.
- Pour in 2 cups of water and put the lid on.
- When the dal grains have cooked, add the green mango slices. ( You can check by pressing a dal grain with you index finger and thumb).
- Cook for 5 -10 more minutes. The water should dry up to form a thick gravy.
- Sprinkle the dried red chilies, green chilies and coriander leaves. Simmer for another 5-7 minutes.
Reviews and Ratings
Reviews in English (0)
User's IP: 184.108.40.206