Steak Mushroom Pie
1 / 1
Steak Mushroom Pie
4 people made this
About this recipe:
Steak and three types of mushrooms packed into a pie crust and baked. Great for a lavish weekend breakfast or dinner treat!
750g top sirloin steak, cut into small cubes
Salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
½ medium onion, finely diced
250g crimini button mushrooms
125g Portobello mushrooms, stem trimmed, halved and sliced
125g oyster mushrooms, stems trimmed and sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
250ml beef stock
50ml or 3 tablespoons red wine
1 teaspoon of fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
1 (500g) packet of shortcrust pastry or pastry recipe for 23cm/9 in pie
For egg wash
1 large egg mixed with 2 tablespoons milk
- Season the steak with salt & pepper. Coat in flour, shacking off excess. Reserve left over flour.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium to high heat. Cook beef until nicely browned, then set aside.
- Add onion and mushrooms; cook, stirring until mushrooms are tender and liquid from them has evaporated.
- Stir in garlic and reserved flour. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring well.
- Slowly add the stock constantly mixing to ensure you don’t get lumps of cooked flour.
- Add wine, thyme and steak and simmer for 5 mins. Season with salt and pepper; remove from heat, cool to room temperature and refrigerate until well chilled.
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees C.
- Roll out pastry and place one layer in the bottom of a 23cm pie dish.
- Fill with beef and mushroom mixture before topping with second layer of pastry.
- Brush edges with egg wash and crimp to seal. Brush the top of the pie with egg wash. Cut a small hole in centre of pie to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 20 mins. Reduce the heat to 180 C; cook for a further 25 minutes.
- Allow the pie to cool for 10 mins before serving.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate