- 1.5 cup basmati rice
- 3 tbspn oil
- 1/2 tspn ghee
- 3.5 cups water
- 4-5 green chilies
- 1/2 tspn turmeric powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 cloves
- 3-4 cardamoms
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 1/4 th cup peas
- salt to taste ( 1.5 tbspn recommended)
- 2.5 tbspn sugar
Prep:15min › Cook:25min › Extra time:12hr drying › Ready in:12hr40min
- Wash the rice well. Dry it for 1 hour by spreading out on a sheet under a fan. Once dried, mix 1 tbspn oil, 1/2 tspn ghee, green chilies, turmeric powder and salt.
- In a skillet, heat 1 tbspn of oil. Add raisins, bay leaves, cloves, cinnamon stick and cardamom. Let it splutter. Add rice. Stir for a 3-4 minutes till the rice becomes opaque and you can smell the aroma. Add peas. Stir for a minute.
- Add 3.5 cups of water, cover and cook on low flame. Check rice in 15 minutes. Keep checking. Use a fork to stir the rice so that the grains don't break or get mushed. Add Sugar. Taste and adjust salt and sugar if neccessary according to your own taste. If neccessary may add a splash of water if it is too dry. Also, stop cooking when the rice is 99% done. Keep covering it and it will get cooked in the vapour.
- Serve with chicken , fish or vegetable curry.
- May add left over chicken or kabab or fish pieces at the end with coriander leaves, and the dish will get a whole new dimension.
I have cooked it tonight for my hubby. He liked it very much.The process is so easy.Every ingredients are always available in a middle class kitchen. Feeling happy to get the recipe. - 01 Oct 2013