258 people made this
About this recipe:
Here's a classic American recipe for apple pie filling. I often give this away as gifts.
900g caster sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 tsp salt
3 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a large pot, mix sugar, cornflour, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add salt and water and mix well. Bring to a boil and cook until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat and add lemon juice.
- Sterilise jars and lids by boiling them in a large pot of water.
- Peel, core and slice apples. Pack the sliced apples into hot jars, leaving a 1 to 2cm space at the top.
- Fill jars with hot syrup, and gently remove air bubbles with a knife.
- Place lids on jars and immerse under water for 20 minutes.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate